Friday, July 31, 2009

Shaggaramus

I just think some our Trinidad's orators are ingenious.

Recently I had the chance to view the new video of a song done by Rapso artiste Ozzy Magic and I thought, 'Now what a clever man!'. What I meant is, why didn't I see the association between the word 'shag' which is British slang for casual sex and one of the popular lovers cove on the south-western coast of Trinidad, Chaguaramas? Chaguaramas was once used as an American army base in the second World War and I have heard many stories, and songs, of the island girls and military men who exchanged passion on its beaches, and who have left a legacy of light coloured babies and the lure of sweet sex within its woody valleys.

Ozzy's song reminds me of the many reasons language is colourful and rich here in the Caribbean.

No comments: